Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mitcham Ward

Last Sunday night we met with the Stake President of the London wards. All of us girls from our study abroad have been split up into different ward assignments of where we are supposed to attend church. I have been called to attend the Mitcham Ward, which is about an hour and a half away from my house. To get there, we ride the tube for 20 minutes, board a train for 40 minutes, board a tram for 15 minutes, and then we have a 15 minute walk from the station to the church. Altogether it takes us about an hour and a half to get there if everything goes smoothly and it costs $15 to go to church each week.

Although it's exhausting just to get to and from church, the minute I walked into church I knew that it was going to be the neatest experience in my life. Everyone in that ward is so warm and welcoming! It is by far the most diverse ward I have ever been to. It is about 70% African from Ghana, 20% Asian, and 10% white (which include the two Elders and the one couple missionaries). As white BYU girls, we really stuck out! The chapel is the smallest chapel I have ever been in--with two medium sized benches next to each other and about ten rows of benches.

Sacrament Meeting was so spiritual and it was the best meeting I have ever been to. The spirit was so strong and those people are amazing! I bore my testimony in both Sacrament Meeting and in Young Womens. I actually got called to be a Young Womens teacher so I am really excited about that! There are ten girls in there and they are all way cute! I am so grateful that I have been called to this ward because I know that it will be such a life-changing and learning experience for me!

3 comments:

Chito & Michelle said...

oh Nicole that sounds so amazing! you get to teach the young women there! Thats crazy that if takes you that long to get to church- no being late and making tire squeakers as you rush off to church ha ha. Well I miss you so much, sounds like you are having an amazing time!

Unknown said...

You are going to be the BEST teacher! How fun. We'll have to share ideas!! Do you teach from Manual 1?

Steph said...

Haha no way Nicole- I was in the Mitcham Ward!!! And I was in Young Womens too. Tell Bridget, Victoria, Adjua, Nikita... all the girls I say hello!!! PS you actually don't need to pay- just swipe your oyster card when you go to Platform 10 and it's free! Also watch out for Phillipe- a girl in my ward secretly dated him! He's an awesome teacher though. Also if there are any YSA dances at the Hyde Park ward for sure go and hit those up- they are a blast!!! I'm so stoked for you, Nicole! Sounds like you're having a blast!!!